Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Acknowledging the Loss - Tip #3 by Susan Vagnoni Murphy


Once I got pass the shock of having lost a job that really meant something to me, it seems I felt the need for a stiff upper lip and an “okay I can move past this” attitude.  Nothing wrong with that…unless you know what an emotional creature I am.  (I think it comes from my Italian side, but maybe it’s just my membership in the human race). 

I was reminded today by a very wise executive coach and kind friend to take time to grieve what has been lost and what is not going to happen.  When I heard that I actually let out an audible sigh of relief.  I was being given the permission to feel the sadness I have. And I cried.

Now I am not saying this is an open ticket to wallow on the proverbial “pity-pot”. I have been doing as many of the "get moving tasks" as I can. I have had some great conversations with friends helping me define my skills, polished the resume, networked, sent applications, and am taking workshops and trainings to gain some new knowledge.

I also have tried not to isolate myself - which is a defense mechanism I go to. I tend to feel like the Debbie Downer people will run from if I share too much about my job situation. (Note: save the heart-wrenching stuff for the closest of friends and family. They love you so they will put up with more.)

Each of us handles job lost in our own personal way.  I just want you to know I feel your loss, and it is okay for you to feel it too.  We will get past our grieving process, but it is important we don’t skip over it.

Warmly, Susan


No comments:

Post a Comment