Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Scrapping to Earn Your Spot by Susan Vagnoni Murphy


So many of us grew up seeing images and hearing tales of a continuous rise from childhood, to stellar school days, to  an ivy league college, to career, family, kids, a house, vacations and a great retirement.  Does this sound like you?  It sure isn’t my reality.
And I am not complaining.
I worked hard as the first one in my family to go to a 4 year state university.  I did shine there, but it wasn’t Stanford or Yale.  I came from working class parents who did not tell me I could be anything I wanted to be. They told me if I work hard enough and am a good person I will have a good life. I was married and once had a house. I now live as a single mom raising my two sons in a small apartment.  So far, this doesn’t sound like the tale the movies tell us about how life should go.
I may not be the example of the person on the ramp to continuous success, but I do know what I am…I am a scrapper. I work my tail off to keep moving ahead, and to gain knowledge and experience while taking care of the people I love.
Scrappers take their inspiration to grow from what is around them: From friends who mention a class they heard about; and you give it a try.  From the parish priest who says life does not promise security; and you accept that and move forward.  From the business connections who give you great ideas and resources; and you actually follow up on them. And from your own grit, having the courage to go after the opportunity that has arisen from the struggle.
I recently saw an inspirational TED Talk by Regina Hartley called “Why the best hire might not have the perfect resume.” In this talk she does a great job explaining how the scrapper has not had all the advantages, but through their own determination manages to have the right stuff for the job. Their story should not be dismissed for the “perfect resume.”
My tip this time around is for my fellow scrappers to be proud of who you are. Learn from your past but do not dwell on it. Use your special ability make "lemonade” out of whatever situations come your way. You have already proven that you have what it takes to turn adversity to advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment